10.08.2011

Magnolia Bakery Cupcakes

I found this recipe on the New York Times website. Its from Magnolia, the famous New York bakery. How could I resist such an offer! I frosted the cupcakes to look like roses. At first, I hada lot of trouble making the roses look somewhat like roses but after a while they looked great!



Magnolia Bakery Cupcakes
Yeilds 24 regular-sized cupcakes

Cupcakes
1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing pans
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting pans
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and lightly flour 2 12-cup muffin tins and then line with cupcake papers or grease. Mix the flours together in a bowl. In a glass measure, mix the milk and vanilla.





2. In a large bowl, cream the butter with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy (about 3 minutes). Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually add the flour mixture, alternating with the milk and the vanilla, beating well after each addition. Spoon the batter into muffin cups about 3/4 full.








3. Bake until the tops of the cupcakes spring back when lightly touched, 20 to 22 minutes. Remove cupcakes from the pans and cool on a rack before icing.


Roses Frosting

You'll need a stiff frosting to make these roses as they will need to hold their shape. I used a store bought icing then added A LOT of icing sugar. I would not suggest this method. Make it from scratch! There are tons of recipes online and unfortunately I can't find the one I used the second time I made these so here is one that looks like it would work. I also added edible glitter to some of my cupcakes.

Here is a tutorial on youtube showing how to make the roses.

Bon Appetit!